Development Log

July 11, 2018: Hello to all my followers,
For a specific reason, I have no choice, but to fully convert to Unity. Even now, I and my freelancers are transferring all materials to new engine. The bad side of this, that the beta, and final version will be released later than I would expect.
The good side - unlike generic Visual Studio, Unity allows to run games on all systems, not only Windows, including Mac, Linux and even Android. 

Again, full conversion will take some time, hopefully not very long. I apologize for that, and will do my best to do everything as fast as I can.

June 18, 2018: Since the last update, I was working hard with code optimization. I changed the code almost for everything, and reduced the RAM usage to between 200 and 300. I also fully changed the code for conversation - the earlier way was too hard for myself to check thoroughly. Now, it is optimized together with everything else. Now, I can say, that the optimization is finished, and I can finally go back to checking rooms. I expect, that when I finish sanity tests, I can start actually play through the game, to find other bugs, not detected with first check.



June 4, 2018: For a few last days, I've working a lot with the code. I wanted to reduce memory usage, and also I encountered quite a painful bug with sounds. It took quite an effort, but now I am happy to say, that I fixed all major critical bugs, and also greatly reduced RAM consumption. How much? I lowered it from about 1.5GB RAM to just about 400 RAM. I continue searching for ways to reduce it even more, but I think that what I did is a nice result on it's own. Want to know what I did exactly? Remember, last time I said, that I barely knew anything, when I started. So, by then, I made the majority of changes with images and buttons manually, each element on it's own. I used excel to copy-paste same values, but still each element was being called manually. Now, I found a way to reduce all this code to just a few "foreach" loops. The result is great - not only it reduced RAM usage, but it also no longer requires hard and monotonous work from my side! I keep searching to improve even more.

What else can be said? Freelancers I hire do their best to finish the last images and videos. I hope to finish soon.
 



May 24, 2018: For a last few days, I've been doing Sanity Tests for remaining rooms. The majority of game rooms is ready, their objects work as due, so does saving and loading. I was a little surprised, that for some specific parts I didn't have code made in advance. So, I also had to write some more code, for a few rooms. Now, the majority work as due. Only a few rooms remain, those which don't have images ready yet.
Also, I am trying to improve the code itself, to make the game consume less RAM. I think I have a few good solutions, and will try to check my ideas in coming days. You will probably be surprised, that I had little knowledge of C# when I started the development of Reality Incognita. But since then, I learned a lot, and am trying to optimize the old code whenever I can.

May 12, 2018: Today I was working mostly with sounds and voiceover files. It took some effort, but now the majority of those files are attached to the source code, and play in the correct situation. It required changing some parts of the existing code, and some voice lines were found missing, but the majority of sounds and voiceovers are finished. I plan to finalize remaining sounds in this week. Also, I am now adjusting the size and positions of all inventory items to all available resolutions. I hope to finish it in this week as well.

May 10, 2018: Today I decided to start this blog, so you'll have an easier time following me. And, I won't hide this, I hope to get some hype. I'll try to add as much detail as possible, and as often as I can.

Those of you, who are already following me for some time, might be wondering, why updating the content of the game from Alpha to Beta takes so long, and if it actually advances. Please be calm, I am deep in the process of development, and so are freelancers helping me, and the Beta is moving towards finalization. Freelancers are doing game content I myself can’t do: graphics, sound effects and voiceover. I am happy to say, that the majority of content is mostly finished, only a few remaining images and voiceover effects remain to be done.
However, all this content is useless, until it is added to the game engine, and the code is adjusted, to make them appear or play in the correct situation. This, sometimes, require some effort, and changing the code that was already prepared before.
What I am doing now? I am sound effects to the game. As I said, this requires slight changing of the code, for example to make item appear in inventory only after the sound of this item picked up is played. This isn’t hard, but somewhat time consuming.
What I was doing before adding sounds, and what I’ll continue once I am finished with them: the basic check of all game rooms and objects. This is also called “Sanity Test”, the very first and basic check of everything. During this stage, I check that all game objects work as they should, that sounds and voices are played in the right moment, and that there are no bugs that crash the game. Of course, there will be more checks, more thorough, with finding and fixing smaller bugs, but this is the start.
 
I really hope to release the game in two month. That will be still not final part, but the Beta, with about half of the planned content for final version.